Design Space gives you the ability to upload your own images for free and converts them into cuttable shapes. There are two different types of uploaded images: Basic and Vector.
- Basic Images, also known as raster images, include .jpg, .bmp, .png, and .gif file types. These files are uploaded as a single layer, and you have the ability to edit the image during the upload process. These are also known as raster images.
- Vector Images include .svg and .dxf file types. These files are uploaded as previously designed and will automatically be separated into layers after uploading and saving.
Step 1 – To begin an image upload, select Upload on the design panel to the left of the canvas. A window will open which prompts you to choose image or pattern upload. Upload Image allows you to work with basic image types, including .jpg, .bmp, .png, and .gif image files as well as vector images, including .svg and .dxf files. To begin, select Upload Image.
Step 2 – Select Browse to open the file selector and locate the image you want to use from your computer, or simply drag and drop the file into the upload window. If you select .jpg, .gif, .png, or .bmp file to upload, you will be taken through the Basic image upload flow. If you select a .svg or .dxf, you will be taken through the Vector image upload flow.
Option 1 – Basic Image Upload:
- Select the .jpg, .gif, .png, or .bmp file you want to upload. Then select Open in the file selector or drag and drop the file into the Design Space image upload window.
- Decide if your image is simple, moderately complex, or complex based on the descriptions found on the screen. Click “Continue.”
3. In this step, you’ll define the cut lines of your image. Use the Select & Erase, Erase, and Crop tools to remove the unwanted background from your image. The checkerboard background indicates the areas that have been removed and will not cut. The solid areas represent the image you will use on the design screen.
4. Once you have removed the unwanted areas, select Preview to show the cut lines of your image. If the image doesn’t appear as desired, select Hide preview to return to the editing view and continue removing portions of the image until you are satisfied with the preview. Once the image looks how you want it, select Continue.
5. Name your image and tag it (if desired) for easy searching later. Decide if you want to save your image as a Print Then Cut or as a Cut image. Saving as a Print Then Cut image will preserve the entire image, including internal colors and patterns, and add it to the design screen as a Print Then Cut image. Saving as a Cut image will save only the outer silhouette as the image cut path.
- When you are done, select Save. You will return to the Upload screen. The new image will appear in the Uploaded Images Library at the bottom of the screen. To add the image to your project, click on the image to select it, then click Insert Images to add it to your design screen.
Option 2 – Vector Image Upload:
- Select the .svg or .dxf file you want to upload. Then select Open in the file selector, or drag and drop the file into the Design Space image upload window. Tip: Design Space can work with files created from other design software. The files can include solid colors or solid color fills, outlined text, or layers. However, if you use a layered image, you should ensure that in the original file the layers are ungrouped.
- Name your image and tag it (if desired) for easier searching later. Then select Save.
3. You will return to the Upload screen. The new image will appear in the Uploaded Images Library at the bottom of the screen. To add the image to your design screen, click on the image to select it, then select Insert Images to add it to your design screen.
4. Vector images will appear on your canvas as a grouped image. If ungrouped, the image layers can be moved and sized separately.